Monday 26 May 2008

Painful Monday

1. Pain - I'm not talking about the pain of Leeds Uniteds defeat in the play off final yesterday but I'm talking about the pain in my ankle.
This morning when I got out of bed I was in pain, I've got an attack of gout in my left ankle, its swollen & inflamed, hurts like hell especially when I put my foot down. Obviously this has stopped any exercise plans for today.
I know I'm prone to gout but in recent times I feel I've controlled it very well be controlling my diet, I feel I normally know what brings it on and avoid.
For the record this is what I find causes it in me :-
1. Weight Gain - I find if I increase weight it increases attacks (at moment I think I'm losing weight but it could be a late reaction from my holiday).
2. Weight Loss - Yes believe it or not weight loss can bring on an attack, however this is if you lose weight too fast. That is why I must always control my weight loss at a steady rate (don't think this is the cause this time).
3. Dehydration - If I get Dehydrated that always seems to bring on a attack, again don't think that has happend here.
4. Wrong Foods - Eating too much of the wrong types of Foods is always a favorite, I have a list (Liver, Kidneys, Oily Fish, Shell Fish, etc). Also too much dairy produce and I'm thinking this is a possible cause this time, on top of my normal intake this week I've been having some low fat cheese spread on a couple of crackers, its not stuff I normally have so am suspicious it could be the cause.

What is Gout ? For those that don't know its hereditery more common in Men then Women, basically your blood gets an imbalance and builds up too much Uric Acid (everyone as small amounts in their blood count). This in turn causes a build up of crystals in the joints which then causes the inflammation.

Some foods help fight it such as Strawberries, Blueberries & Cherries thats why you will always see these in my diet.

2. Weight Loss Fitness -
My Food intake today is :-
Breakfast - 2*Weetabix, 1 portion Strawberries, Blueberries, 1/2pint Orange Juice
Lunch - Rice Pudding with blueberries
Mid afternoon - Coffee, 2 biscuits.
Dinner - Chicken, Potato Wedges, Peas, Carrots, Broccoli, Parsnip.
Evening - Its Monday & that means Pool night so I will be having a few drinks
Supper - Nothing
All drinks throughout the day other than those mentioned have been water.

As for fitness I was unable to do anything due to my gout as explained earlier.

3. Music Choice - Todays Classic Song is Simon & Garfunkal "The Boxer"

4 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Hope things settle down and youre feeling better soon. :)

Jenny said...

My mom has gout and I know that she has some bad days occasionally and it really knocks her out. I hope you are feeling better soon.

TitanThirteen said...

Mmmm that dinner sounds yummy!

The gout doesn't though :o(

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Thanks, think its settling down now.

Jenny,
It is so painful, I know just how you mother would feel.

Cactus,
Yes its a good dinner that one.