Thursday 29 May 2008

A Life of Visiting

1. Parents - "A Life of Visiting" that about sums up what I'll be doing over the next few days as this morning I took my Dad into Hospital in York for his hip operation. He was told to be there at 7.30am so we left at 6.30am not sure what the traffic would be like. Well we had a great run, hit virtually every light on green and was there by 7am, 30 minutes early.
Anyway we got him booked in and he was taken to his room, it was like a hotel room. I'll point out although he is a National Health patient due to waiting lists he's been done in a brand new Bupa Hospital.
The Lady who showed us his room and where everything was left us to unpack his stuff, no sooner had she gone but another Lady appeared asking what meals he would like. The choice was amazing, the menu would put some 5* restaurants to shame.
Next it was a nurse who checked is blood pressure and told him he was going to theatre first at 8.30am so the started to get him ready.
I was about to leave at about 8.20am but had to laugh when my Dad asked if I thought it would be safe to leave his money in the drawer in his room, me thinking he had only a bit of change said yes fine. So out of his pocket he pulled some notes, £100 in total, don't know where he thought he was going. We decided it would be best if I took it home, left him with £10.

I got home did some shopping then it was to the Care home my Mum is staying at to see how her first night had gone. I went in the morning cos I thought others may visit in the afternoon. Anyway when I arrived she had a visitor, one of her friends had called for a chat so I joined them in a chat. Shortly after one of my cousins arrived she had the same idea and assumed everyone would visit in the afternoon.
To cut a long story short she seems happy with the place and has settled in ok, although she nearly murdered another guest this morning. She gave a frail looking bloke called Fred one of her fruit sherberts this morning and I don't think he was expecting the sherbert in the middle cos it set him off on a coughing fit, he was ok though she'll probably give him another tomorrow just for the hell of it.
I mentioned her knowing a lot of the staff but I met the Chef today and he used to play TT with me about 25 years ago, its a small world.

2. Table Tennis - Tonight is the local league (Selby) presentation evening, its only a small league and we don't really have enough people interested for a Dinner/Dance so we make it a Quiz night between the various teams. Its proving real popular since we did this and for my crimes I've got the task of setting the questions. Following the Quiz we have a buffet so I'll have to watch what I eat. Then of course the presentation and I've two trophys to pick up, the Mens & Veterans Singles.
I won't be drinking tonight, gonna go in the car, two reasons, obviously my gout but I've another night out with old workmates in York tomorrow so don't want to overdo things.

3. Weight Loss/Fitness - My ankle is a bit sore, I had planned to cut the lawn today but I'm gonna rest it, I'll only make it worse if I try do too much on it, need to keep my foot up when I can.
As for Food intake :-
Breakfast - 2*Weetabix, 1/2 portion Strawberries, 1/2 portion Blueberries, 1/2pint Orange Juice
Lunch - Tomato Soup, 2*Slice of Bread
Dinner - Jacket Potato & Baked beans.
Supper - Depends on the TT Buffet and I'll probably drink still orange.
All drinks throughout the day other than those mentioned have been water.

4. Music Choice - For today and I know it isn't Monday but I'm going for the Blues Classic "Stormy Monday", this excellent version is by Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan, now thats what I call talent.

No comments: