Tuesday 6 May 2008

Getting Ready for Home

I'm just writing this before going to pack my things ready for going home. I actually fly in the morning, the shuttle bus is picking me up at 7.30am so I don't want to leave much to sort in the morning.
Tonight I'll just go out for meal and a couple of Beers at a local Pub then try to get an early night.

I've enjoyed this trip, but I seem to have been away such a long time (I suppose 17 nights is a long time).
Austin - I found as expected a lively Citywith loads of nightlife but not much to do during the day. Saying that the State Capitol Building is impressive to say the least. I also visited the Texas State History Museum which was interesting although I was dissapointed there wasn't more about the Alamo (was it cos they lost).
There are also loads of walking paths which I did most mornings however it got a bit hot in the afternoons so they were spent by the hotel Swimming Pool with a nice cool lemonade.
Nightlife everyone mentions East Sixth Street but to be honest it is now more for students, there are better bars & Clubs for us more mature people on West 4th & 5th Streets. There are Bars & Clubs all over the Downtown area in fact there arn't many shops don't think they had room for them

Kansas City - Its not been quite as hot which is good cos my hotel ain't got a Pool. I've enjoyed my stay but 7 nights is a long time here I suggest 5 would have been better.
The nightlife is centered around 3 areas "Country Club Plaza" which is a real plush area to the south of the City full of Shops, Bars & Restaurants, luckily in walking distance of my hotel.
Also in Walking distance in the other direction is Westport Road which is the historical district and is full of bars & clubs but really old one's.
The other are is in Downtown caller "Power & Light" this is a brand new area with loads of posh bars & restaurants, I think they have targetted a run down area and just rebuilt it. It is still expanding and is a fun place for a night out.
While talking nightlife I've seen some good live music but last night it was a bloke guitarist who could really play but the Girl singer he had with him was terrible never seen anyone on stage as bad she virtually emptied the place. She actually sang some stuff I liked but I didn't recognise the songs till half way through.
A lot of the daytime attractions are average to say the least with the exception of the World War One Museum which was fantastic a true history lesson. I spent over 3 hours there, its a must visit. However I had to have words with the staff as in one of the rooms they had the flags of all the countries involved flying from the wall. Well the Union Jack was there of course but upside down, I had to point it out and they promised to get it changed. So if anyone visits KC you must check for me, lol.

Tell more later my friends.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

It seems that only San Antonio likes to talk about the Alamo, so I guess Austin is a little thin on that event... Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and that the weather is cooperating!

Meow Meow said...

I would have enjoyed AUstin, I think. Kansas just doesn't appeal to me that much.

I look forward to pictures.