Friday 9 May 2008

Home again

I'm a bit tired following my journey home it was a long trip, I got picked up by the shuttle bus from my Hotel in KC at 7.30am. Of course like always when your in good time to the airport you fly through security and have to sit around waiting for your flight.
Then of course it was delayed 1 hour but I wasn't bothered cos I knew I'd a 7 hour stopover in Chicago so it would share out the waiting time. Actually we made half that time back on route to Chicago so was only 30 minutes late. I made my way across the Airport to the International terminal and was pleased to see although Chicago had a few delays my flight was on time.
I booked my luggage in and decided to go for a lunch of Philly Cheesesteak & Fries, followed by a visit to the bar for a few beers to wash it down.
I then had a look around a few airport shops before making my way through security, made my way to my gate, found a good seat and chilled out listening to music on my MP3 player. The time actually passed quickly and we started to board the plane on time 5.45pm (due ou 6.30pm), by 6.20pm most people seemed to be on board and I was pleased cos I had 2 seats to myself (a bit more room is always nice especially on an overnight flight when you want to try sleep).
Anyway just before they closed the doors a couple of late comers arrived, 1st a miserable looking bloke who I was pleased sat down a few rows in front of me, then a pretty young lady came along and yes she had the seat next to me. We said hello and she explained she had been visiting a friend in Louisville Kentucky which made me think of one of my online friends "Brandy" (Redneckgirl). She also told me she had been panicking cos her flight from Kentucky had been delayed over 2 hours, she was a little out of breath from running to catch this flight.
She seemed really nice and asked where I was from and I said as I do "near York" (not everyone as heard of Selby). She said "I'm from near York also but I live down south now" she then asked "where near York" so I told her "Selby". Unbelievably she grew up in a small village less than 3 miles from my home, neither of us could believe it, what a coincidence.
It also turned out she had left her car at her parents house so I had a companion all the way home cos she was catching the same train.
Things went a little wrong with the flight though our plane got in a queue to take off when another plane in front of us broke down so we were stuck on the tarmac at O'hare for 1.5hours but eventually they towed it away so we set off arriving one hour later than planned.
I grabbed my luggage but my lady friend had been called to the office as she expected her luggage hadn't been transferred in time so she had a form to fill in, they promised to get it to her in the next few days.
We dashed to the Station and lukily there was a train in, we caught it by 4 minutes, I actually got home at mid day which meant I'd been travelling just under 24 hours.

Of course I had planned a nice relaxing weekend but the Girls I used to work with contacted me and are planning a night out in York so I think I'll tag along, see how I go I may not stay too late and come home in the early Taxi if I tire (but who knows).

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yikes, what a long trip home, but it was nice to find a friendly traveling companion. Good to have you back!