Thursday 15 May 2008

My Updates

I'll start by been honest and admit I've certainly put weight on while on vacation, trouble is I can't tell you how much cos my scales have finally given up (they have been iffy for a while). I know because my clothes are feeling slightly tighter and I do feel unfit (thats more unfit than normal).
Although I've been home a week I've not really started the fightback, I've eaten ok but I've had a couple of big nights out which wont have helped. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go to the Pub tonight to watch the 2nd leg of Leeds play off semi-final, this is so important, ok we are 2-1 down but as allways I'm optimistic. I'm also away this weekend, off to Slough (its near London) as my Table Tennis Clubs first team are in the National Play Offs and a few of us are off to support them. I'm sure we wont be eating too well and a few beers will be flowing.
Anyway I've decided I'm gonna put my weight loss plan in place next week which will include what I eat and what exercise I'll be doing. To be honest I accept I've never been a thin person but I do like to feel fit if that makes sense.

I'm actually looking forward to this weekend away for more than one reason, I'm actually gonna be meeting (I hope) one of my online friends. We have arranged to meet on Saturday night and will be going for a meal. The lady concerned is actually a friend from MySpace, we message a lot and talk on IM, we seem to get on well and I'm really looking forward to the meeting. She is a lovely person and I'll have to make sure I'm on my best behaviour.

I've been busy at home sorting out a few things in the garden and yesterday I sorted out the shed, to be honest it took all day it was so full of junk. I took two car loads of rubbish to the skips, it certainly looks different now, you can actually find things.

In two weeks time my father has to go into hospital for a hip operation so I'll have to do a lot of his fetching and carrying for a few weeks when he gets home. He normally acts as a carer for my mother who is disabled and she is going into a care home for 3 or 4 weeks while he gets back up to speed. The irritating thing about it is she will have to pay a significant amount of money for the pleasure because she as savings. My parents arn't rich both worked all their lives and because they saved a little it is taken off them. Others can not pay anything in the system and claim all these benefits for nothing, something is wrong in my eyes.
We did look at the possibility of me looking after her with assistance of a home nurse to get her up in the morning and put her to bed (two one hour visits which would cost us anyway) but she can't be left alone for long periods and if I'm visiting my father in hospital (which is 40 minutes drive away) I can't be in two places at the same time. Still whatever it costs as long as she gets looked after properley thats the main thing.

9 comments:

airliebird58 said...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
(I think that covers it!)
Welcome back BTW :)

celtic_girl said...

As long as you get back on the horse re the weight loss that is the main thing. And Yes, I agree with you re your mum's siutaion, my parents are in a similar position and the govt wants to know the ins and outs of a cats bum in regards to their finances and if they think they are earning to much they take more than double away from them from their pension.

Have a great weekend away and I hope you get on well with your friend.

ArleneWKW said...

Feeling fit is definitely where it's at. So, I'm guessing that you'll be meeting Airliebird58. I hope the two of you have a great time. Re. your mom having to pay for what is given freely to those who have no savings, the situation righteously sucks. My mother was in somewhat that situation during a part of the last 2 years of her life. By paying, she was getting a private room, but the price for this was very high. If she'd been on Medi-Cal, she wouldn't have had to pay anything. I hope your dad's hip operation goes well.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Fantastic performance, the pub went crazy when the winner went in, now for wembley and we can stick two fingers up at the Football League.

Celtic,
I certainly will be making a big effort, I'm very determined.

Arlene,
Wrong Guess its not Airliebird who actually lives less than 40 miles from me, who I'd love to meet one day for sure.
Its a friend from MySpace called Jane, I'm looking forward to it.

airliebird58 said...

Me again, I was so excited yesterday I didn't really read your post properly. Hope all goes OK with your Dad's op. My Dad has just had a knee replacement and it does knock em back for a few weeks, but they get them moving about pretty quickly.
Enjoy your date as well :)

ArleneWKW said...

Ooooops. Have a highly excellent time with Jane.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

I thought arliebird58's reponse to your parents' situation was oddly enthusiastic, but I see she says she read the post too quickly.

O, Mick, staying fit as we get older is just hard. People look at me and think I'm lucky or have good genes, but I really work hard to keep the weight off: every day at the gym, every calorie considered, every snack and drink evaluated. It's an endless effort.

You have my support.

Jenny said...

Sorry to hear about your parents--that really is a short deal and not very fear. I mean, if they were wealthy, that would be one thing, but it is like people are being punished for working hard and saving a little.

Good luck with your upcoming meeting. Tell us all about it!

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Thanks, my Dads getting plenty of expert advice from my Mum who has a job lot (Kees & Hip).

Arlene,
Thanks, I'll be writing about my meeting meeting with Jane.

Reg,
I think I knew which part of my post Airliebird had read.
You're right it is hard keeping fit but it is a thing thats worth putting the effort in.
Thanks for the support.

Jenny,
You've hit the nail on the head, people are punished for making an effort.
Gonna write about my weekend now.