Saturday 28 June 2008

This Weekend

1. Tennis - We are at the middle weekend of Wimbledon and as usual most of the Brits haven't made it to the 2nd week. In fact we have only one player left in the competition thats Andy Murray. Could he go all the way, I doubt it think it'll be a Federer v Nadal final again but I've a feeling the Spanish player may just do it this time.
More surprising than our players getting beat is the fact that the Americans have no men reaching the 2nd week. Long gone are the days of Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, etc. Whay has happend to American tennis ?
Of course the ladies its slightly different with the Williams sisters looking likely winners. A lot of the top seeds have gone and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them reach the final. To be honest I hope they don't, not that I've got anything against them I just can't stand their Father, when he's interviewed he comes over as such a big head.

2. Football - We've reached the final of the European Championships and on Sunday Spain will face the Germans. It should be no contest on form Spain have looked really good where the Germ,ans have been so lucky to reach the final. However you can never count the Germans out, they have a knack of winning competitions when playing badly.

The English FA have come up with a classic way of improving the game over here. They are banning under 8's from playing competitive matches so they only work on skills. Well a load of poppycock as far as I'm concerned life is about been competitive whether passing exams, driving test, getting a job, basically everything. Kids have to learn about the ups & downs in life and sport is a great way of doing it.
Apparently Wales & Northern Ireland have had this policy for a number of years and I can't think they have set the Footie world on fire.

3. Nelson Mandela - Well he is celebrating his 90th Birthday but I don't know if its only me but I can't respect this man. Everyone makes such a fuss like he's some sort of Martin Luther King. Yes sure he played a big part in ending apathaid in South Africa but this is the bloke who was jailed for terrorism. This was the bloke who led the ANC in a bombing campaign, he was rightly jailed in my opinion. Strange now most of our countries are fighting terrorism around the world, perhaps one day Osama Bin Laden will be president of Afganistan and get the Noble Peace Prize.
I'll also mention that Mandela as done absolutely nothing about his mate Mugabe carrying out atrocities in neighbouring Zimbabwe, South Africa could do something about it if they wished, its about time somebody did.

4. Music Choice - Well from the Who's rock opera "Tommy" came the classic song "Pinball Wizzard" which was actually performed by Elton John in the Film.

5 comments:

airliebird58 said...

If Zimbabwe had oil we'd have been in there yesterday!
Top clip too, I love Elton John and in 'Tommy' he was at his best.

ArleneWKW said...

Wow! I always thought Mandela was a hero. I wouldn't dismiss the part he played in ending apartheid. I also believe there might also have been a a considerably more bloody outcome for the white South Africans had he behaved differently. You may be much better informed than I am. I'm just going by my memory of what occurred.

Jenny said...

I must admit that I have not been into Tennis since Andre Agassi stopped playing! I never found Sampras all that cute!

Meow Meow said...

I haven't forgotten you love.
I have been busy with college and adjusting to married life.

Much Love

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Its certainly a mess over there when you consider its a country that has so many mineral resourses (Gold & Diamonds to mention two), it also boasts some of the most fertile land on the African continent but Mugabes thugs have just destroted most of the farms and the people are starving.

Arlene,
Most people would argue the same about Mandela but it doesn't get away from the fact he was a terrorist and was paramount in organising a bombing campaign. He claims it wasn't intended to kill people but the fact is innocents died.
Also he and his people have stuck up for Mugabe and his thugs for far two long if he really wants to be a peoples person he should speak up instead of pretending to be the peoples representitive like the media have built him to be.

Jenny,
I think Agassi had more Charisma than what as followed although there is no doubting Sampras had talent. I thought he was as good as anyone until I saw this bloke Federer.

Rebecca,
Hello my friend.