Sunday 25 March 2012

Back Home Older & wiser (and in pain)

I'm now back from my Lisbon "Birthday" trip and have got to admit although I had a good time its not a City I'll be returning to. Its been on my "to do" list a long time but the city itself was a dissapointment, one of the worst I've been to.

Yes its got a few historic areas and buildings but they are quite often covered in graffiti, litter lines the streets in many areas it is so run down.

I'd only been in the city for a few hours and felt I'd been mugged twice, first got charged 24euro for my tax from the airport the hotel receptionist told me it should have been no more than 15euro (was actually 11euro on my return).
Then I went for a meal at a restaurant close to the hotel that had been recomended (trying to avoid the beggars lining the streets). It was average (sort of posh greasy spoon) and I thought a nice touch when they put bread, cheese and other nibbles on my table while I waited for my order.
However when the bill came they charged me for all the stuff I'd touched apparently this is the normal in Lisbon, all restaurants do it, soon learnt to only touch what you want to eat.

On a plus side visited some nice places (usually outside the city), Oriente which you can do on the subway is a nice modern area, great shopping centre and waterfront.
Also visited the pituresque mountain village of Sintra, expected the train ride to be through nice mountain scenary but it was 40 minutes of seeing slum after slum and I'm not joking. However it is a nice place when you eventually arrive just a pity it was the only rainy day.
Another day I took another train to the coastal resort of Cascais, now my advice to anyone visiting the area is to stay here and take a train to just visit Lisbon.

One thing thats good value is public transport a day pass is 5euro and allows you on all subway, buses and trams within the city limits. However this comes with a warning to watch out for pickpockets, they are everywhere. Although didn't get caught out myself did have two experiences, first visiting a market on the tram an portugeese lady spotted one with his hand in another ladies bag and warned us to watch out as more than one gang were working the market.
Also a elderly german couple staying at my hotel lost everything (money & cards) on the subway, luckily it was their last day but neither the german embassy or the hotel would help them get to the airport. They were distraught so I gave them some money for their taxi, didn't want anything for it but the lady insisted on taking my address and said she'll pay me back.

Will download photos later.
Thats enough on Lisbon for now but i will mention my birthday, was pleased to get 4 cards (3 more than expected, lol) and loads of messages.

Starting to worry about my knee, it keeps flaring up and giving me grief think i done a bit of damage. Plan to go back to Docs this week although it was the other knee i origionally injured (thats fine now) I've a aweful feeling this is more serious. Ok maybe jumping the gun but I'm thinking it may need a operation, will see.

No comments: