Thursday 21 June 2012

Pain hurts

As regular readers of my blog will know I occasionally suffer from gout, many things can trigger an attack and i try to watch my food intake only eating foods with high purine content in moderation.

Well last weekend I had a bad attack, and am having problems with both knees, right foot/ankle and elbows, believe me its painful, finding it hard to sleep so quite grumby.

I've had it in various joints in the past but not all at same time, daily tasks are almst impossible, I've been in a mess, believe me. Think worst attack I've had, certainly for a long time since i started watching what i eat.

So whats caused it, well I believe its my weight loss combined to some foods/drink I eat. Before anyone says been a better weight should be beneficial, I know that is true but losing weight initially can effect your blood initially so is a very likely cause.

I've been to the Docs and am been sent for a blood test to see my Uric acid levels have worsened over the years (since last time they tested), will also tell me if I have other underlying problems (kidney function, heart, diabetic, etc).

I've been having a good read up and have made the decision that I've got to help myself, currently when i have a attack i have anti-inflammetery pills but depending on the test results the doc says i may be prescribed a daily pill to help keep my uric acid levels down. There is a real danger of it causing many health issues.

This doesn't come without side effects so i will avoid if possible, so for me its a lot of big lifestyle changes. Certain food will be cut from my diet, others will allow in moderation but not during any attack however mild. Of course there are some foods that are good and i'm moving to them.
Going to cut back alcohol intake and nne at all during an attack.
I'll continue to lose weight with a new enthusiasm think the long term benefit as got to be better health where my main reason in the past is to look better.

I'll add on  positive note things are improving today, think my eating the right stuff is starting to come into play. I know it'll take time to find the right balane for me but i just have to get there, can't go on like this.

1 comment:

Enz said...

So sorry you're unwell but I admire that you realise YOU can change things and take control. Looking forward to seeing you get healthy :) and look good doing it!