Monday 20 October 2008

The Revised Plan

As I said in Saturdays post I've revised my weight loss plan after my errors of trying to be too ambitious. Sure some days I can cut back significantly and I will but the fact remains trying to keep down at around 1,200 calories (plus a 300 cal drinks allowance = 1,500cals a day) would be impossible.
Reasons -
1. Wouldn't keep it going
2. Would effect my energy levels (especially when playing competitive sport)
3. Could cause health problems (Gout attack, etc)

I still believe counting calories is the way forward, I need a target and of course can reward myself if I eat & drink well.

I asked myself the question -
So what is a resonable daily calorie intake ?

I checked the internet and found this weight loss calorie calculator -
http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories-need.asp

I put in my height 5'9" & weight of 200lbs (ok I'm a bit above this I think but its the way I want to go). I also put myself down as does moderate exercise for this calculation.
Anyway the result showed to maintain the same weight I should take in 2860 calories per day. Apparently reducing this by 500cals will take off 1 pound per week, 1,000 cals 2 pound, etc.

So taking everything into consideration if my average daily calorie intake is between 1860 & 2360 calories I should lose between 1 & 2 pound per week. As this is lifestyle changes that I want to keep up I think this is a fair target, would you not agree.

The one complication is my sporting commitments means I have some quite hard days of physical activity and I find these are the days I have to up my intake. I feel if I keep these to less than the stay even 2860 cal target that will be ok, I can also eat less on less physical days to keep the average within my target parameters.

To move on this was my last week results :-
Monday - 2373 cals (Was high because this contains a few beers I had at my weekly Pool match.
Tuesday - 1187 cals
Wednesday - 1285 cals
Thursday - 2630 cals (High intake for energy due to Golf followed by Table Tennis Match)
Friday - 1367 cals
Saturday - 2664 cals (Playing for county at TT, very hard physical matches needed food for energy).
Sunday - 2499 cals (As per Saturday)

This resulted in an average 2001 cals per day which is between my target parameters mentioned earlier and in theory should result in approximately a 1.5lb loss.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I still think you should up those lower days to a minimum of 1500. I am 5'8" and weigh about 150 and 1800-2000 is what I do to stay trim. A Daily average of 2000 should be fine for you so try not to deprive yourself too much. Remember weight loss is important but so is enjoying life!

Fairy Mae said...

ok...so there is a lot of thought put into this...2000 calories... sounds sufficient. Give it a try, you have room to adjust.