Wednesday 22 October 2008

America is Closed

I think everyone who reads my blog realises I enjoy my trips across the water to visit America, well to be honest the chances of it happening again are slim.

Why you may ask ?

Basically its economics, the pound against the dollar as just crashed. When I first visited the States I got a reasonable rate of $1.70 to the £1 which was ok. Over the last two years the weak dollar has seen it get even better actually reaching $2 to the $1.

However recent weeks have seen either the dollar grow stronger or the pound crash because its now around $1.50 to £1. Today alone the pound crashed 7 cents, thats massive in one day and its threatening to drop even lower.

Of course this doesn't only effect my spending money it also puts the cost of flights up for me virtually pricing me out of any trips stateside. I suppose its a great time for any Americans who fancy a trip to the UK, they should think about it.

To be honest I need to rate to get back to $1.70 to make it viable, and I mean tourist rate. I'm sure the US election may make a difference, probably depends who gets in.

So for my trips next year it looks like its a good time to look elsewhere.

4 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Sending you a sublimimal message

"Come down under"!!!!

Jenny said...

Hmm, I was unaware that the pound was having such issues, because I don't see many americans doing a lot of travel any time soon due to the state of our current affairs...

Perhaps a little local travel might be fun? Anywhere in the UK you've been dying to see?

airliebird58 said...

I think the way things are going not many people are going to be able to afford travel abroad, so costs may come down in other ways.

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
You never know.

Jenny,
Funny you should mention local travel, I have a few weekends arranged.

Airliebird,
You're right the pound is so week we can't afford to travel.