Wednesday 9 January 2008

The Last Bus

Well last night I went out to York to meet up with a mate that plays TT with me, the idea was a few beers and catch some live music. We were meant to go Thursday but I'd agreed to play a match in the local league.
Anyway the night started badly when the bus I was going to catch to get to York was cancelled, now there was a queue full of people, the drivers office was just over the road (we are at the main bus station) but nobody came to tell us so we all just waited stood in the cold. Eventually (30 minutes) a bus did come and when the driver was asked why he was late he told us our bus had been cancelled and his was the next one.
On my way to York our team captain phoned me to tell me thursdays match is cancelled, hell I could have gone out then which is a much better night than Tuesday. In fact the City was really quiet with only a few people in the bars and we couldn't find any live music at any of the places we expected it.
We made the most of the night a good laugh, a game of Pool and just a few beers which brings me to the title of this post.

I caught the bus and in fact I was last on and I noticed there was seven other people on the bus and I sat towards the back. Everyone was on their own all sat alone and it hit me our nobody talks, not even to say hello, good evening or anything like that. I find this typical of public transport especially late at night its though all the passengers are suspicious of the others believing they are maybe mass murderers or something.
I find this situation unusual because I can't think of a parrallel situation, anywhere else I go people politely acknowledge you in the least. Thats whether you are in a bar, out shopping, at a sports event or just walking down the street this is normal in Yorkshire. The Last Bus this just doesn't happen.

So who where my fellow passsengers :-
1. Mr Cold - Guy one was sat just behind me he was a coloured lad about thirty years old who looked a bit cold, he kept his woolly hat, scarf and gloves on for the full journey.
2. Mr Text - To my right was a lad in his late teens I would say, maybe a student I'd guess, he spent the full 35 minute journey sending texts, gee the art of conversation is really dead.
3. Mr Hungry - In his twenties I'd reckon, had a rucksack from which he kept pulling out food, in fact he started making sarnies.
4. Mrs Terrified - Lady at the front looked absolutely terrified on her own with strangers at that time of night. She sat the full journey clutching her bus ticket so tight the whites of her knuckles where showing.
5. The reader - Lad reading a book, his eyes never looked up, one thing struck me in the full length of the journey he never appeared to turn over the page.
6. Mrs Cool - Now I ask you who wears sunglasses at 11pm in the middle of winter.
7. Mr Music - Sat with eyes shut listening to his Mp3 player.
8. Mr Normal - That was me slightly intoxicated which you are supposed to be on the Last Bus.

Is this a normal crowd for late night public transport, what are your experiences ?

4 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Well I cannot comment on that one as I never catch public transport. I do agree with you we are becoming a sad society with "goodwill" to each other being non existant.

TitanThirteen said...

I don't use public transport. The last time i caught a bus, it was my oldest daughters school bus.
There was a boy terrorising her on the bus, so i got on and sat up the back a bit, away from her. So i could see for myself what he was doing. [and then seek revenge in some sneaky, underhanded fashion]Of course he didn't get on that day, and someone told him "Alix's Mum" was on the bus. So i couldn't do it again.

The time before that when i used a bus, i drove to the nearest town, then caught a bus with my son. I asked for a "'round trip" so Jason could see what it was like on a bus lol

I always smile at people and say hello. Sometimes they respond likewise and sometimes they don't. But i'm determined that i'll keep using the manners my mother taught me to use.

Rachel said...

I don't use public transport either. It isn't safe is my perception. Not because of bombers but because of the thugs and drunkards and stonies that you find riding it here late at night. I don't know if we Americans are distrustful or spoiled, but I'd never take public transport here.

Meow Meow said...

Thank you for the updated address.

Personally, I don't care for public transit....maybe in NYC-- I have tried the subway..but not recently.