Wednesday 25 July 2012

Weight Loss Challenge - week 9 - Job Done

All I can say is I have a smile on my face this morning because I'm "home and dry" yes the 22lb loss target as been achieved and with 2 weeks to spare.
In fact its 23lb because I lost 3lb last week which is even more pleasing because I've broken the 200lb mark, this morning the scales showed 199lb.
Job Done but I wont be stopping here its my long term aim to get much lower.
Would like to say I'll never weigh at 200lb or above again but with a holiday coming up in just over 2 weeks I may blip a little. Still I've a couple of weeks to drop a little more before Austria and maybe give me a buffer if that makes sense. I'll be delighted if my first weigh in after the holiday says 199lb, it would be a great starting point for my next challenge.

Mick - start weight 222lb - todays weight - 199lb - target loss 22lb - loss this week 3lb (14%) - total loss 23lb ( 105%).

Reg - start weight 131lb - todays weight - ?lb - target loss 6lb - loss this week ?lb (0%) - total loss so far - ?lb(58%)

So how have I managed to succeed ?

Basically its been a significant change to what I eat/drink on a weekly basis.

Beer - have cut down a lot, go out less and on the occasions i do have diet soft drinks most of the time. Reckon beer intake is down 70 to 80% to what i did previously. Of course still enjoy a pint but don't feel the urge for a big session reckon down from 20 pints to between 4 and 6 per week.

Breakfasts not changed significantly for weight loss, always had weetabix with fruit (berries) but I've now given myself options depending how i feel, now its Weetabix or Porridge or Bran Flakes so I have a choice and keeps food from been boring, just go with which i fancy that day (still have the fruit obviously).

Bacon/sausage - Not so much sausage but i love bacon and could always make a meal with it or have a sarnie at lunch if peckish. Well now don't have any in the fridge, eliminated from my diet options.

Chocolate/biscuits - I often have a coffee during the day and sometimes it was hard to resist having a biscuit with it, solution easy don't have any in the house.  I'll have a small handfull of grapes or cherries in the afternoon to stop me feeling hungry.

Snacks - As above I always had chocolate and biscuits in the house and to justify I used the old tale "its in case visitors come", of course too convenient and in real terms it would be me eating them when i felt hungry, and as any chocoholics will tell you once you start its tough stopping.
Now I have apples, oranges & bananas in as my only snacks as and when required.

Lunch - Always been not too bad at lunch this is my small meal but occasionally would eat the wrong stuff, now it varies between a weight watchers meal (there are a few I like) usually between 300 and 400 cals,  a bowl of soup, or a sandwich (chicken, ham or low fat cheese). Again of the 3 options i just decide which i fancy on the day.

Main Meal - Always loved my food and enjoy my dinner, many times it would be far too many calories but now thats changed. I only have one main dinner per week (usually sunday), last week it was gammon, veg & jacket potato week before roast beef, roast pots, yorkshire pudding, etc.
So what about the other meals, well I make five salads up and have one per day until they run out, at least one will not have meat on it will use something like cottage cheese. In fact just made them up today cottage cheese, spam, chichen, tuna & ham are what i've made this week.
My 7th main meal is usually a meat free day, tend to have just a jacket potato with beans or cottage cheese.
Will admit occasionally (every 2 or 3 weeks) will have fish and chips, but these are done in oven not deep fried.

Bread- Always had wholemeal bread but things like salads, fish & chips i had 2 slices with i will now have one.

Supper - Late night hunger was always a problem for me when dieting and i would take unhealthy options all the time but now I get some Ryvita (slimming biscuits about 30cal) and have with some low fat cheese spread or cottage cheese.

Think thats about it, think varying the breakfast and lunch options on a daily basis depending on mood is allowing me to enjoy my food.

5 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Congratulations Mick. A well won victory!

Anonymous said...

Well done Mick! And your eating plan is very healthy and sensible! SHARLENE

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

Mick, CONGRATULATIONS more on the healthy eating than on the strict weight loss. I'm very impressed by the changes you've made.

I couldn't bring myself to weight in this Wed because my birthday was on Tuesday and I had a big party (wine, dessert, lots of food).

Besides the partying, having pared my daily nutrition down to mostly protein and vegetables with only enough fruit/oatmeal/honey to appease my sweet tooth, I'm having a surprisingly hard time "reaching weight" (125 is still my goal). I'm sure the problem is that I need more exercise. After years of being a weight-pounding gym rat, I just can't do that to myself any more, but haven't replaced it yet.

Then again, 127 pounds looks pretty good on me, so I guess I'll just try to relax and not focus so much on those last two pounds. My energy is excellent these days because I am taking good care of myself, for the most part.

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks Ladies

Reg,
You doing great and I'm sure you'll make 125lbs you are so close.
If your energy level is good thats a big achievement.

Enz said...

Congratulations! Your plan is so sensible and obviously works for you and is easy to tweak for days you want to indulge a little more. Good on you!