Thursday 3 November 2011

My Decade (1970's)

Reckon everyone has their favorite decade and if most of you are like me it'll be the one where you go through your teenage years before life became too serious and we all discovered the opposite sex.

I was lucky because mine was the 70's when most of the best films where made, the best music produced and Leeds United where the best football team and England the top sporting nation.

Lets face it many of you will argue your era is best but you'll never convince me, lol.

Ok I'll justify my claim that 70's were best, we'll start with films (or the type I like) and maybe do music next week :-

Westerns - The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) my favorite of all time, Clint is the best in this field and this just edges out his 1966 classic "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".


Prison Films - Reckon the top three of all time were made in the 70's with Midnight Express (1978) just getting the nod over Papillon (1973) & Scum (1979).


Gangsters - The Godfather Triology (1972 was the first) need I say more


War Films - Ok tough call some great films in all eras but I'll throw in "Apocolypse Now" (1979) but although up there not sure if best ever.


Sport - Yes it was the era that gives us Rocky (1976) but I'm gonna throw in another Stallone film, not boxing but wrestling, its A little known gem called "Paradise Alley" (1978).


Street Gangs - Forget The Football Factory, Green Street and all the modern crap the best gang film was made in 1979 and based in New York, you got it yet. Its "The Warriors" such a cult movie with virtually unknown actors.


James Bond - Yes it started in the 60's but the best Bond was Roger Moore and he started with "Live and Let Die" in 1973.

2 comments:

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

My decade was the 1980's and I knew, even while they were happening, that they sucked. In 1987 I knew the music and fashion sucked because I remember saying so (I was 20 that year). I'm not a big movie person, so I can't say much about that, but I think some god awful films came out of the decade, too.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

Okay, I guess the two good things to come out of the 80's were Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller albums. And that's about it.