Monday 7 March 2011

Music Monday - Australian Music

Following last weeks "Best of British" music post Sandii challenged me to do a post on Australian music so started me thinking what Aussies have had hits over here. Of course there is Kylie but the challenge was without her so I'm leaving her out plus her sister and Jason Donavan who dueted with her but had some solo hits.

Of course we all know Aussies have a habit of claiming whats not their own such as Olivia (born in Cambridge) and the Bee Gees (Isle of Man).

So this is a tough challenge but I'll start with the most famous Aussie of them all who had a number one hit with this classic :-


Ok enough of that and reckon I'll take you back to the sixtes with a group and song that reached our top ten and is on many 60's compilation albums its The Easybeats who came from Sydney with the classic "Friday on my mind" :-


Fast forward to the 80's and another group from Down Under did well in the UK charts with a song called "Down Under" which actually made the No1 spot. The group of course was called Men at Work :-


Need to come forward again to he current century and nclude Melbourne Band Jet, only seems right seeing the lead singer bought me and my mates a drink in Chicago last year when we spotted them in a bar. Here they are with "Seventeen" :-


Australian music is quite varied but arguably their most famous group ever is the Hard Rockers AC/DC and here they are with "Back in Black" :-


But its a Folk group that is arguably the most succesfull act in the British Charts if you don't include Kylie, they've been about since the 60's when they had numerous hits (including 3 number ones I believe). Of course its The Seekers but reckon to finish this weeks post I should go for their 1993 classic "I am Australian" :-


May even get there one day.

2 comments:

Sandii said...

yay!!! 10/10 Mick what an effort and love the inclusion of Jet!!!

thanks for taking up the challenge!!
x

Sandii said...

btw - seriously, claiming what isn't ours???? the British do that just as well... :-)