Sunday 25 October 2009

Walking the Walls

Last thursday I had to take my Dad through to York hospital for an appointment and some tests. Anyway I had a few hours to kill so decided to walk the "City Walls".

Despite only living 12 miles from York I've never actually walked the full route around the City so I took my camera along to get some snaps of the route. The weather wasn't ideal because it was a wet and dull day but the photos are ok.
I reckon its somewhere between 2 & 3 miles in distance but I was in no rush so I'm not sure.
For those not up on our local history, York is a very ancient City and some of the walls date back to Roman times. The walls don't totally circle the City but cover a lot of it, one part now along the River Fosse was marshland so defences weren't required. Around the walls are a number of gateways caled "Bars", the main four been Micklegate Bar, Bootham Bar, Monk Bar & Walmgate Bar two of which house small museums. If anyone is interested in history Wikipedia can tell you more than me :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_city_walls

I took 60 photos in total you can check them out as a slideshow on my Flickr site :-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308363@N02/sets/72157622645479252/detail/

1 comment:

ArleneWKW said...

That is sooo typical, living in a place with destinations that tourists scope out, yet not visiting them oneself. I'm glad you took the opportunity to do so.