Monday 12 October 2009

F*****g Students

Tonight we were supposed to be playing the University in the York Table Tennis league, just checked my emails and they have cried off. Apparently they can't get a team but I'm really p****d off about the late notice cos I'd cancelled my Pool match to be available.

Talking Table Tennis I've been down at Grantham all weekend playing British league, our team did ok winning one match 5-3, losing one by the same score and drawing the other two. This is the 2nd weekend and we already have 8 points which is what we got in the whole of last season, we only just stayed up so are comfortably mid-table this year. Personally I won five out of my 8 games which is ok for me at this level, so quite pleased. The games were quite physical so will have done me good.

Talking of getting fitter, those of you that read my plan in the last post will see I've put mornings to one side for my daily chores. Anyway after washing, ironing, shopping and visiting my Mum (not really a chore) I had about 30 minutes to spare before lunch. So I decided to do a short walking route, its a loop where I set of in one direction and it brings me back to my home.
I reckon its around 1.5 miles but for a change I thought I'd push it along and time myself. Today's time was 22 mins 10 secs so my plan is to do this when I have time on my hands but try improve the time (keep records), maybe starting jogging some sections (did I really say that, lol) until I'm up to running it all. Ok its walk at the moment but now I've a time to beat and I'm sure my competitive nature will help inspire me to pushing it. Initially reckon I should be trying to get under 20 minutes as a reasonable target.

Could also start something similar (keeping times) on the long walking route (About 6 mile) I do occasionally. If I can turn walks into speed walks/jogs I reckon its got to help fitness and weight loss. Maybe I can also come up with a few other ideas where I can compete against myself, I'm sure its the way forward for me.

On another not I did a bit on the cycle machine I've loaned last night after I got back from TT, only gentle exercise and I reckon it did me good because my joints are not as sore as they usually are after a tough competition.

3 comments:

TitanThirteen said...

It sucks when the other team can't play. It's like a waste of a whole day! Good on you for stepping up the exercise. 6 miles is heaps, even without the cycle :o)

Mick & Cathy said...

I was really mad that they postponed by email, if I hadn't been on my computor we would have turned up. Must admit I sent them a very snotty reply and also copied it to the league secretary.

Yeh the 6 mile takes me about 1 hour 30mins+ so is quite time consuming, sort of do it when nothing else on.
The short 1.5mile route against the clock is good, I need to keep pushing myself (I'll be jogging soon, lol). Maybe do it 2 or 3 times per week.

celtic_girl said...

It gives me the shits as well when we cancel something for another thing and then it gets cancelled.

The walking sounds like a good idea, I could not even do 1 mile let alone 6 of the suckers. lol!