Thursday 22 September 2011

Worried

Over the past couple of weeks I've noiced my Dad struggling a bit, he's not the most mobile since having a new hip and knee but he's been worse than normal. Since Mum passed away he's been a bit lazy so I've been pushing him to do things, he needs that.

Anyway it came to a head today and it appears I've been missreading the situation, he couldn't get out of bed this morning I had to lift him although once up got him moving. By Lunch time he'd got worse and couldn't get out of his chair, could hardly stand up so I got the Doc out to analysize him.

She arranged for him to go into hospital straight away and suspects its something called Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) which effects the muscles. They know he has this and he's been on steriods for it for a couple of years however I didn't know they had reduced his dosage so hopfully this is the cause and can easily remidied. Wish I knew they had done this as I'd maybe spotted the symptoms earlier.

Past history proves that he should recover quite quick once the give him a steroid boost, hopfully he'll be fit enough to come home tomorrow, we'll see. One complication though is that he seems very confused he said a few strange things and seemed not able to understand what people were telling him, the docs didn't seem concerned with this somaybe its a side effect.

I'm due to go on holiday to Cyprus on Sunday, I usually make sure he as everthing he needs and some of my cousins and good neighbours call and keep an eye on him. But to be honest if he isn't much improved he'll need 24 hour assistance so that will be me and I just hope its covered in my holiday insurance. Sayng that the holiday is not important in these circumstances.

While talking about parents its strange but I've found myself thinking about Mum a lot lately, really missing her despite it been over 4 months since she passed away. It feels like delayed mourning, can't explain it.

2 comments:

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

Mick, I wish you luck managing your emotional pain and family responsibilities.

Anonymous said...

hey Mick, thinking of you and a little prayer said for your Dad! what a great son you are xxx

San xxx