Thursday 25 March 2010

After 20 years I thought I'd got the title for life

Well this Sunday is my towns table tennis championships and I've entered a few events and am hoping to come away with some trophys. To be honest my chances are good as I play in much harder leagues but have always supported the small town local league. On the other hand the physical demands of entering a lot of events will put my body to the test especially considering I'm also playing Saturday in the veterans county championships representing Yorkshire. We have three team matches whic will involve me playing 6 singles and 3 doubles matches.

So back to the local competition and last season I managed to win the Mens Singles (I hold the record with 9 titles stretching back to 1984, lost a few though) and the Veterans (over 40's) so will be defending these events.

But apparently these are not the only events I'm defending because this season they have decided to resurrect the "Hard Bat" competitions. This is where you can't play with your regular bat and have to use a old style bat which makes it difficult to spin the ball. Modern bats have come a long way in spin and speed so its very difficult to switch.
The last time this event was run was in 1990, yes 20 years ago but I'm sure you've guessed I won it that year so technically will be defending that title.

Other events I'm in are the Mens double and hard bat doubles (at least I can blame my partner for any defeats, lol).

Nearly forgot I've also entered the Handicap event where players are given a start, never won this and would love to but I'm sure the handicap committee will make it virtually impossible.

Its gonna be a tough weekend but maybe I'll sweat out a few pounds.

2 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Sweating off pounds while you're having a good time is excellent.

TitanThirteen said...

Good luck with defending your title! :o)