Monday 5 January 2009

Bad Start to the Year

Well the new year hasn't started good at all, first I didn't go out New Years Eve because I was ill so just spent the night at home feeling sorry for myself.

Anyway thats not all, think I said in an earlier post that my Dad went into hospital for a Gall Bladder operation NYE & with it been keyhole I was suppsed to pick him up New Years Day. Well the actual operation went well however on the night he spent in hospital he had a bad fall. It happend when he got up during the night to go to the toilet, he felt dizzy (still effected by the anaestetic I think) reached for a table to steady himself. The table was on wheels so he crashed to the ground hurting himself on his left side mainly his shoulder & hip. The hip was a concern because he only had a new joint 7 months ago.

Luckily the x-rays have revealed nothing broken however he is badly bruised & still in hospital. He can't lift his arm very far & struggles to get up out of the chair, he is a bit of pain.

So I've been spreading my time visiting him on a afternoon & my Mum in a morning. My Mum as gone in a Nursing home as she is disabled & my Dad is her main carer. She was only supposed to be there for a week or so but its looking like it could be a bit longer.

My Dad was in York hospital which is a bit of a trek as its at the other side of the City so a bit of a pain with the traffic during the day. They have now move him to Selby to recover & have physio but they forgot to let me know so I drove to York to find out, wasn't pleased particuraly as Selby is only 400 yards from my home.

7 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Sorry to hear about your dad's fall. You sure didn't need the aggravation of a long drive only to discover that your dad had been moved. The staff at the hospital should have handled that better.

Fairy Mae said...

Hope your dad perks up. Have had my gall bladder out too...what a gong show!

Fairy Mae said...

My mom was the main caregiver for my grama. Just make sure your dad has help. Caregivers always give so much of themselves that they tend not to take care of themselves. My mom was not well and I then moved to look after both my mom and grama. Grama passed in 2003. Mom is better now but it sure was hard to see the both of them struggle as grama knew she was very dependent on mom and then in turn mom dependent on me...but I wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world cuz I got to spend time with both of them!

airliebird58 said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he is soon on the mend. I haven't had a good start to the year too with a family bereavement on Monday. Well at least things can only get better :)

celtic_girl said...

Your poor Dad, I feel for him.

Do you have any brothers or sisters Mick or are you the only one? I can relate to how it is looking after elderly parents, but hey I think it's payback and don't begrudge it.

Hope your Da is feeling better soon.

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks everyone, he is improving & is getting released from hospital this afternoon, off to collect him shortly.

Celtic,
I am an only one, no brothers or sisters I'm afraid. Have a few cousins that I can get to call round if needed though.

Airliebird,
Sorry to hear about your loss.

TitanThirteen said...

Oh my goodness, poor Dad!
Just as well he was in a hospital when it happened!