Saturday 29 March 2008

My News Updates

First the big news and I'm going on my travels again, its all arranged and I've only to wait just 3 weeks before I am on my way. I'll be visiting two new Cities for me one I've always wanted to see, thats Austin, Texas "the musical capital of the world". I'll actually fly there on Monday 21st April for 7 nights.
I then fly to Chicago where I'll spend two nights before going to Kansas City for another seven nights, a place I don't know too much about but it sounds nice and I got a riddiculous cheap deal. Apparently its nicknamed "the City of Fountains" as only Rome has more. Lets not forget Jesse James came from there and of course wasn't it where Bonnie & Clyde had their shoot out.
I'm now doing my research on both Cities, what to see and do.
I know its a bit early for a big holiday but I may have to miss out with my summer trip as my father is due in hospital to have his hip done and I'll have to be available when he comes home to do a few jobs for him.

Tomorrow is a big day for me as I've entered the annual local town table tennis Championships, I've not played in them for a few years and really want to take the Mens title. I have won it 6 times in the past, first time in 1984 and been beaten finalist on at least six other occasions. The record for number of wins is seven so if I can take the title I'll become joint record holder, I'd be pleased with that. I'm also competing in the Veterans (over 40) and am very optimistic I will be able to win that event.

I've still not really looked to hard for any work, I've been signing on at the Job Centre, you have to do it every two weeks to get the "Job Seekers Allowance" if you have no income. However this week will be my last time because I'm signing off, I will have an income in the form of my works pension from 1st April so I wouldn't get the JSA. I thought I'd still have to sign on to get my National Insurance credits which you need to claim State Pension when you reach 65. However I phoned the Pension people and to qualify you only need 30 years in as the law as changed. I've got 33 years in so don't need any more, thats worked out well.
Taking my Works Pension at 50 was a big decision as I took penalties which reduced it significantly, however I invested a lot of my redundancy money (about 70%) into it to boost it back up so I'm confident it will easily cover my essential overheads, so basically I'm ok. It also saved me paying 40% tax on my redundancy so I'm sure I've taken the right option.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, another trip! You are quite the jetsetter. I have never been to Austin, but I hear it is really cool. I have been to KC and while I am not a big fan, it does have great BBQ!

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
Austin is a place I've been wanting to visit for a long time so I'm really looking forward to that trip.
I got a really good Flight/Hotel deal to KC so thought I'd give it a go while in the US.

Anonymous said...

hey Mick,

great news, you are so lucky! make sure you have a great time and have a big steak for me!

sorry i haven't been commenting as much, busy busy now that i have a new boss.

sounds like you're enjoying the time off and why not, you've worked long and hard for it!

take care
San
x