Monday 24 March 2008

Music Monday - Cover Versions

To be honest I've always had the opinion that when Cover versions of songs are produced they can never surpass the origional. However thats probably not totally true although in the majority of cases possibly is.
So anyway that brings me to this weeks post, listen to these songs and the origionals then vote on my sidebar which you feel is best.

Song One - Route 66, of course everyone thinks of the classic Rolling Stones song but is the origional by Nat King Cole better, tell me what you think ?
Stones -

Nat -


Song Two - You'll Never walk Alone, yes the Gerry and the Pacemakers Liverpool anthem from 1964 was a cover version, the origional recording was by Frank Sinatra back in 1945, interesting one ?
Pacemakers -

Sinatra -


Song 3 - Finally Tainted Love that 1981 classic from Soft Cell was also a cover version of a recording back in 1964 by Gloria Jones, how do you compare ?
Soft Cell -

Gloria Jones -

5 comments:

airliebird58 said...

I'm going to go for the Stones for the 1st one, Gerry and the Pacemakers for the 2nd (how many 'do's' have you been to Mick where everyone sings that at the end?), and I preferred the Gloria Jones version of tainted love, I don't think I've heard that one before.
Off topic, but I came across this doing a search on you tube, Have a look it sounds fantastic, and VERY patriotic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97iTHeZ2iEE

Anonymous said...

Airlie,
Yes but it irritates me when players picked for England don't sing the National anthem (but are we allowed to mention Rooney & Neville).
One of your favorites Mario Lanza also did You'll never Walk Alone, I think its on Youtube.

airliebird58 said...

Yes I was going to mention Mario had done a version. But I thought my comment was getting a bit long lol.
I reckon Rooney and Neville dont know the words! After watching that clip though, how can anyone not be fired up by that?? And 9 out of 10 times England play like a load of puddings. I thought we looked not bad in parts of the 1st half, then I started to doze off :)

Moby Dick said...

I thought it was Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and even Johnny Winter that all had done the Route 66 song? Bob Dylan had an album if I am not mistaken. He also did an album with Johnny Cash. Route 66 was a big theme IIRC.

Great work finding those oldies. The new Tainted Love is better than the original by far!!

BTW, you should consider returning back to your original blog...

TitanThirteen said...

Oh my! Tainted Love is one of my fav 80's songs! I had no idea it was a cover. Thanks for that music lesson :o)