Wednesday 6 February 2008

Out of Work Lifestyle

Well I reckon I'm starting to get into the routine of this new to me "out of work" lifestyle. Ok its been about 6 weeks now but that included Christmas so that wasn't really like been out of work.

The pace of life is so much less stressfull than when I was at work, small jobs I need doing I can do at my leisure, more things are getting done, hell every cupboard in the house as been tidied up. When the spring comes I've a few outside jobs to do, some big hedges to cut back, Shed to Tidy up, Shed also needs painting (& roof re-felting), garage doors need painting, etc.

So how am I filling my days in other than work around home. Well as always I try to arrange things to do in the evening but its the days I've gained. When the weather has been good I've done a long walk each morning (about 6/7 miles), I sort of head out of town till I come to the Canal then walk back along the canal tow path into town, call in a few shops then head home for lunchtime. I've got a few contacts whom I'm going to start playing golf with when everything drys up a bit, we've had a lot of rain and the courses are a bit too flooded at present.

This morning I've been into town and joined the local library, its amazing I haven't been a member for over 30 years and they have come on a lot. Not only books to read they have magazines & newspapers, you can loan CD's, DVD's, Videos, etc. They have internet access (not that I'll bother unless down at home) and you can even get a cup of Coffee. I'll probably visit once a week possibly more if the weather is bad.

On another related note today was my two weekly appointment I have to attend at the Job Centre (so I can claim JSA). It only takes 5 minutes but they try find you work. Today the lady gave me a print out of a Job to consider applying for, now it was 12 hour shifts including weekends and about £12k less than I was on (don't think I'll be going there). To be honest while you are sighning on you can insist on equivellant job to what you was doing for the first 13 weeks then they can make you go for a lesser job. However as from April I'll be claiming my old works pension so wont be "signing on" anyway, I'll then only be looking for something part time.

As for my money its doing fine and under my budget, I took the redundancy decision after making a lot of calculations and the signs are I've made a good decision. Obviously its early days yet and may be things I need that I haven't considered, I'm just keeping a open mind to what direction my life will now go.

On a good note - Only 3 weeks to my Chicago trip, and I'm really looking forward to it.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time free of work. Being let go can affect people differently. Some love it and relish all the opportunities to do things and some go nuts without a daily job to do. It is great that you are the kind that enjoys leisurely lifestyle. You worked a long time and deserve to enjoy yourself now.

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

hey Mick,

so happy to hear you're enjoying your spare time.

nothing like getting the odd jobs out of the way.

things here are quiet, C is in hospital today for his second procedure and hopefully that will be the last we ever have to think about it. it has brought up the initial fearful feelings of the heart attack so i don't really like it. will go and see him this afternoon/evening then pick him up tmw.

we had yesterday off together, saw a movie and just hung out together. it was lovely.

life is good, am exercising more, which is great and eating better too. have been looking at pics of me when i was about 15 kgs smaller, i used to get quite depressed, now i think, well, you don't look that different AND you're still the same person so no rush to get back there, just to get fit again.

anyhoo, take care, have a great trip, you can send me a souvenir if you like?! :-)

xx San xx

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
Yeh life is good at the moment, early indications are is my cost of living is on plan (time will tell).

San,
Great to hear from you again and lets hope "C can get over this procedure and put it behind him forever".
I'm pleased you are getting chance to exercise I know how the more you do the more it can motivate.

Take Care x

Anonymous said...

Good Job! I would suggest that you get as much done as you can. Projects that you think you have a lot of time for may not turn out that way. Being idle if you do not keep a strict pace on yourself you will get nothing done at all.

Good luck and enjoy your time of leisure, it may not last as long as you think!!

Al

TitanThirteen said...

You'll be knitting before you know it! lol

In Australia, you can't claim unemployment benifits if you have money in the bank. [no chance of saving anything at all!] Makes sense, but it still sucks a bit. It means people cant save for Christmas or holidays etc.

Mick & Cathy said...

Al,
Hope this life of leisure lasts its so stress free.

Cactus,
Knitting I hadn't thought of that !

Our benefits was like that but now anyone can claim Job Seekers allowance for up to 6 month then you are means tested. They can send you for job interviews but for the first 13 weeks any jobs have to be equivellant to what you did before, after that they can send you for anything.
After 13 weeks I wont be eligible anyway cos me works pension will kick in.