Monday 4 February 2008

Music Monday - Best of British - The Jam

Well I've decided to have a break from my "Legends Posts" for now and change the subject. For the next few weeks I'm going to feature some of the "Best of British" groups, well in my opinion anyway.

I'm going to start off this feature with a group I liked big style in the late 70's early 80's "The Jam".

The group of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton & Rick Buckner were schoolboy friends from Woking in Surrey.
Taken from Wikipedia :-

The Jam were an English punk rock/mod revival band active during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
They had 18 straight top 40 singles in the UK, from their debut in 1977 to their breakup in 1982, including four number 1 hits. Two of these 18 singles were only available in the UK as imports, and as of 2007 they remained the best-selling import singles of all time in the UK. The Jam released one live album and six studio albums, the last of which, "The Gift", hit number 1 on the UK album charts.
They drew upon a variety of stylistic influences over the course of their career, including 1960s beat music,soul, rythem & blues and Psychedelic as well as 1970s punk rock and new wave. The trio was known for its melodic pop songs, its distinctly English flavour and its mod image. The band launched the career of Paul Weller who went on to form The Style Council and later had a successful solo career. Weller wrote and sang most of The Jam’s original compositions, and he played lead Rickenbacker guitar. Bruce Foxton provided backing vocals and played unusually prominent basslines, which were the foundation of many of the band’s songs; including the hits "Down at the Tube Station at midnight", "Eton Rifles" and "A Town called Malice".

Gotta have a song about getting beaten up in a Subway Station (they don't write lyrics like this anymore). :-


Personally I was lucky to see The Jam play live at Bridlington Spa in 1981 and they certainly was one of the best live acts around.

As said earlier Paul Weller wrote most of the songs the group did but they did have an early chart success with a cover version. The song "David Watts" was wrote by one of my all time favorite song writers "Ray Davis" of 60's supergroup "The Kinks" so gotta include it.


In their time they created a few interesting achievements, one song "Thats Entertainment" charted at No21 in the UK despite not been released as a single. This was based entirely on imported sales, the song also appears in Rolling Stone magazine best songs of all time.


They became the 2nd group (following the Beatles I believe) to appear live twice on the same episode of Top of the Pops.

On their break up many of their songs were rereleased and the had to distinction of having 14 songs in the UK chart in the same week.

A number of their songs were used in the soundtrack to the film Billy Elliott including "A Town called Malice" :-


Their last ever song "Beat Surrender" made the top spot in the UK chart, nothing like finishing on a high.


My favorite Jam song of all time is probably this one "The Bitterest Pill" :-

8 comments:

Meow Meow said...

I was actually a Style Council fan at one point. I did not know about the JAM.

I saw Jazzfest has their line up settled. Go to nojazzfest.com and check out the multi tudes for EACH day for both weekends.

I need a shower, sorry I haven;t been around as much. I am really feeling a bit overwhelmed that I have TONS AND TONS of stuff to do and a very short time to do it in!

celtic_girl said...

My favourite Jam song is A Town called Malice.

Jenny said...

I love learning stuff about bands I haven't heard of. Thanks for another great educational post. I am going to kick ass on Jeopardy if they have a British bands category thanks to you! :-)

airliebird58 said...

What a great band The Jam was. I'm with Celtic girl, A Town called Malice is my fave track of theirs.
Isn't it funny how many really good bands are (or started out)as trio's? Off the top of my head I can think of The Police, Feeder, and Stereophonics. I think it makes for a tighter sound. Mind you the last couple of bands I mentioned have added to their number now.
BTW did you know the lead singers of both Feeder and Stereophonics are Leeds Fans?
Uh-oh, I'm prattling on again aren't I? :)

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
I don't think The Jam got to the US so are very little known in the States so I'm not really surprised you have not heard of them.
At the time of the break up they were arguably the biggest group in the UK and who knows were it would have led if they had kept going.
The Style Council was a different style of music (albeit very good) that Paul Weller wanted to explore.
The drummer with the Style Council Steve White is still Wellers drummer today, he is really good (and on my friends list on MySpace).

Celtic,
Yeh its a great song, there is a few album tracks I really like. If you ever get the chance check out the "Setting Sons" album.

Jenny,
We've produced some great bands in the UK but I must admit every time I visit the US I discover so many of your great groups.

Airliebird,
I knew about Kelly Jones (stereophonics) been a Leeds fan but not with Feeder.

Anonymous said...

They won't win any beauty contests, that's for sure. Reminds me of that band that sang "Pulling mussels from their shells" or something. Not Flock of Seagulls but something almost as depressing.

TitanThirteen said...

I like The Style Council, but i hadn't really heard much of The Jam.

Anonymous said...

Al,
"Pulling Mussels from a shell" was by a group called "Squeeze" I believe.

Cactus,
Yes its really surprising The jam are only really known in Britain and Europe considering the success they had here.