Sunday 28 September 2008

Paul Newman 1925-2008

I see yesterday one of the great actors of a generation died, Paul Newman is sort of one of the people whose films I grew up with. But rather than even try write an obituary cos I'm sure others will do a much better job I thought I'd list my five favorite Paul Newman roles with clips for you to enjoy. I'm sure you'll all have your own memories.

I'll do mine from in reverse order :-

5. The Sting - In this classic he played the part of con man Henry Gondorf in one of two films he starred alongside another great Robert Redford.


4. The Hustler - Paul twice played Pool Hustler Fast Eddie Felson, this was the first time the 2nd was "The Colour of Money". I wasn't sure which film to put here. This clip is the final match with Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleeson).


3. Buth Cassidy & the Sundance Kid - This was the other film Paul played alongside Redford, Paul was Butch in this acclaimed classic.


2. Somebody up there likes me - Well I love boxing pictures and in one of his early films he played the part of Rocky Graziano in a true life story.


5. Cool Hand Luke - You just gotta love the charactor Luke Jackson in this Prison/chain gang classic. I mean who gets jail for chopping off the tops of parking meters.


RIP Paul Newman

No comments: