Thursday 25 September 2008

My Vacation (post 3) - San Antonio

I suppose with this post I should be talking about New Orleans but due to Hurricane Gustav I had to change my plans and found myself relocating to San Antonio. I wasn't overly disapointed because it is another city I wanted to visit, I'd heard good reports of the place. Extra flights cost me around £200 but luckily I was able to claim that back from my insurance.
My first impressions of the people was good, the lady I sat with on the flight actually offered to drive me to my hotel (her car was at the airport) which I thought was really nice from a stranger. However I did decline the offer because the flight was in at 12.30 and I didn't think I'd get in my room and decided to get some lunch at the airport first.
I got booked in my hotel, managed to get unpacked before discovering I had a leaking sink in my bathroom, no problem though I reported this to reception and they moved me straight away. Once I'd got sorted I decided to find my bearings cos obviously I hadn't done any homework on SA. I walked out of my hotel (Crockett hotel) and remember thinking "I wonder where the Alamo is", my question was soon answered cos the back entrance was immediately across the road, couldn't believe.
Anyway I had a walk down the road and found I was only a short distance from loads of Bars, Clubs & restaurants on the riverwalk. Didn't go too far and made my way back to the hotel to get changed before going out for my evening meal.
My first night out and I made my way to the riverwalk and one of the first Pubs I came across was a British Pub called "Mad Dogs" so of course I ventured in. I had a couple of pints before ordering food, I went for traditional British Pub Grub "Steak & Ale Pie" with english thich cut chips. Gee when it came I couldn't believe it the Pie covered a complete dinner plate & the chips came on a 2nd plate about the same size. I'm not one for leaving food but I managed the Pie but had to surrender half way through the chips. This left me totally bloated and a couple more beers and I had to go back to my hotel, I couldn't fit anything else in, my stomach was bursting.
I got up the following morning and the first stop was the Alamo and I was really impressed how it was set out, the grounds were kept really well and it was very informative on the history, got some cracking photos. One thing did surprise me after years of learning about the "brave texans" I was interested to learn very few of the defenders were born in texas, of the 200 I counted only 10. Most seem to come from Tennesse but a lot of states were represented, however the biggest surprise was that there were around 20 born in Britain & another 10 from Ireland, I've never heard that in our history books. Actually to find more English born people were killed than texans was interesting to me.
From there I decided to walk apart of the riverwalk, it really is a beautiful part of the world, I couldn't stop taking photos, whoever designed it deserves a medal. Some great bars and I passed a little Irish Pub called "Waxy O'connells", spoke with the bloke on the door and he told me they had live music on and it was a englishman singing later that night. I said I'd come back for that.
I eventually went back to my hotel mid-afternoon, did that everyday to chill out at the swimming pool, it was hot for me, high 90's.
Anyway that night I decided to go to Waxy's where I met the English singer, called him Joe Walmsley and he was a Scouser, apparently he used to work cruise ships but had been working the bars in SA for about 2 years. A couple of his mates were coming to visit and he was looking for a hotel for them, I told him the deal I got in my hotel and he was able to get them in the same place.
The 3 scousers were good lads I had a few beers with them another night later in the week, we saw a group called "The Fuss" that basically did a lot of cover versions. They started with the Stray Cats "Rock this town" did a lot of British sixties stuff I liked including , Beatles, Stones, Kinks & the Who, some American super groups from the Eagles to Lynard Skynard, they were good fun to watch and got the audience going.
Most nights I went out to different places from a BBQ restaurant to a Jazz Club to a piano bar always along the riverwalk, there is so much choice.
As for things to do during the day there are a number of small museums, one of the most interesting in the Buckhorn Saloon which is a working bar but has two museums on the premises one of which is all about the history of texas rangers.
Another place I visited in walking distance from my hotel was Hemisfair Park where the "Tower of the Americas" was situated, I went up and you get a great view of the city. The 3d theatre telling you about texas is an experience, hell I nearly jumped out of my seat when they did the rattlesnake bit.
I also visited La Vilita a mexican arts & crafts village, which was interesting as was Market Square another mexican influenced part of the city.
Anyway its definately a city I like to visit again, its a nice place.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I totally forgot you were traveling during all that bad weather!! Well, SA is one of my fav places, so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I just love the riverwalk and the people are so friendly.

Meow Meow said...

Hi Stranger
I am sorry about your transfer of plans from Louisiana to Texas. My family came up here for about a week during the storm, they had a mandatory evacuation. When they did return home all was well the yard was just a MESS.

I am eager to read your last few blog entries

Much love