Tuesday 30 September 2008

Opinions (Hell I'm getting political)

So what is your Opinion on things ?

1. McCain or Obama - Well we are hearing so much about the American election (hell it drags on). Personally I don't thiink my friends over the water have a good choice with either.

2. Credit Crunch - Should the governments bail out the banks ? Easy to say the tax payer shouldn't pay for all the mistakes but to be honest I don't think there is an alternative. If the banks arn't helped it would mean the destroy our countries and cost us all far much more, no jobs, massive inflation, poverty all on the scale of many third worls countries.

3. World Trade - Should our countries trade with others (such as China, Vietnam, etc) because they can produce things cheaper. My opinion is NO because our industry isn't playing on a level playing field. Until they come on board with such things as Human rights, safety, pollution (including carbon emissions), etc the whole western world should refuse to trade.

4. Iraq War - Should we all pull out troops out now. I think this war is nearly over and it would be stupid just to pull out in one go. Whether we should have gone in the first place is a different question but I think controlled withdrawels as the Iraqis gradually take control with our help is the way forward.

5. Afganistan - Same question bu different answer. This is the true war on both world terrorism & drugs, think we should be here for the long term. Better fighting on their doorstep than ours. Think a good move would be to close the border with Pakistan and make an exclusion zone between (20 miles of so). This would stop people hoping over the border to hide which is obviously want happens.

6. Gordon Brown - Is he the right man to be British Prime Minister. Ask me a few weeks ago I would have said no but in view of the World Credit Crunch his monetary background make him the ideal man.

7. Gurkhas - Should they be allowed to live in Britain ? Yes, if they are prepared to fight & die for the country I don't think there is an argument against. Plenty more less deserving cases are allowed in.

8. EU - Is been a member of the EU a good thing ? I have never been a fan but think thats to do with my patriotism, but I could see the point of working with the richer nations such as Germany & France. But now we have opened the door to Eastern Europe I believe we've created nothing but problems that will haunt us for years to come.

6 comments:

airliebird58 said...

1. Obama is Tony Blair #2 and McCain is really a bit old isn't he? For a job of that scope to be sure. So I agree, the US don't have a lot of choice.
2. I've just posted on this on my blog. It sticks in my craw we have to bail these crooks out. I want to be convinced that the bail out is the only way forward. As at the mo we've just been told it is.
3. In an ideal world I would agree about trading with other emerging countries, but there is always someone who wont comply to any pressure being brought unfortunately.
4. I didn't agree with this war, but we've created this God awful mess, and the long suffering Iraqi people deserve it clearing up with honour. As long as it takes.
5. Afghanistan is a different kettle of fish of course. But to be honest I think the real problem that needs to be sorted out is in Pakistan. The democratic government there needs to be protected at all costs.
6. Agree with what you say about GB. The Labour Party still needs to remember where they came from though.
7. Totally agree, men of grace and loyalty have been treated disgustingly by the Government.
8. Out of Europe for me. Trade only.
Bit of a long post, sorry lol.
7.

ArleneWKW said...

Your opinions seem well thought out, Mick. I like your ability to disagree with certain elements of the issues while being able to come down on one side or the other. Okay, so here's where I currently stand.

1. Obama definitely. McCain took away my choice once he chose Sara Palin as his running mate.

2. I'm ambivalent about the so called bail out. I'd like Congress to spend a bit more time on an appropriate solution. On the other hand, both Republican and Democratic representatives seem to feel a sense of urgency about this. Also, it seems like more time may not yield a more appropriate solution. The Senate version has all sorts of "earmarks" in it to get the votes of different reps, for example a special provision re. wooden arrows in children's toys.

3. Yes, but not only because things are cheaper. I think trading partners are more likely to seek their common interests (though it may not always look that way at the moment.)

4. No. My thoughts parallel yours.

5. No. My thoughts parallel yours, though I had't previously thought about closing the Pakistani border. It might be a good idea, although they could tunnel under.

6. I don't know.

7. Gosh I'm ignorant. i don't even know what Gurkhas are?

8. Another thing that I haven't thought about. Except that it was a pain to have to change currency on Gibraltar.

Meow Meow said...

McCain

Fairy Mae said...

Pretty good. Sarah Pallin is the one who concerns me. Shes frightening.

Mick & Cathy said...

I think its good we all have our political opinions and its also good we can be public with them. Thats what is so great about living in a democracy.

Arlene,
The Gurkhas are mountain people from Nepal that have fought in the British Army for a few hundred years having their own regiment. Although they are usually physically small people they are regarded as some of the best, most disciplined, loyal and fiercest combat soldiers in the world.
Traditionally the Gurkhas carry a curved knife called the "Kurki" and legend has it that they never take it out of its sheaf unless they intend to kill.
As these are mountain people I'm very surprised they haven't been used in Afganistan which is their territory, the taliban would not stand a chance.
There is quite an uproar in Britain that when they have served their time with our army that they are not given citizenship, this is now changing.

ArleneWKW said...

I'm glad that attitudes about the Gurkhas are changing. The kind of prejudice that denies them citizenship is disturbing.