Wednesday 17 September 2008

My Vacation (Post 1) - Chicago

I have been quite busy since I got back from holiday and other than get my photos posted haven't blogged much about it. So I'll just blog a few memories over the next 3 posts.

1. The first night I stayed at Bewleys hotel at Manchester airport, had a few beers but not everything went to plan. I usually stay at this hotel cos they do a good buffet breakfast which I enjoy before a long flight. However when I went for breakfast the place was packed and overun, the staff were struggling to cope, there was only 4 items to choose from (Bacon, Sausage, Beans & Egg). Well I don't like egg so I got my fair share of the other stuff. Normally they have Tomatoes, Mushrooms & Black Pudding but wasn't doing them, you also had to queue for Coffee, toast, fruit juice, etc. The reason for this was they were providing for 140 extra people whoose flight had been delayed, I got sat with two young ladies and they were supposed to fly to Bulgaria and had been delayed for 16 hours from the previous day cos their plane had broke down. I felt sorry for them there is always somebody with a worse problem than yourself (still missed my black pudding).

2. I flew to Chicago first with American Airlines, not the best I must admit as you don't get your own TV and choice of films. Not over impressed with their meals either the are not a patch on BMI but its only a journey so I go with the cheapest.
I had 3 nights and 2 full days in Chicago and as I've been before I wondered what to do. I stayed at the Wyndham hotel which is only one block from Michegan Ave so an ideal spot for going anywhere. I also get a 3 day CTA pass at the airport which you can use on trains and buses which was a bargain at $12.
1st night I had a meal at the hotel before going to a Irish Pub I know (The Kerryman) then on to one of the Blue Chicago Clubs. The singer was Grana Louise who I have seen before, she had a good backing band and I enjoyed the performance. Eventually went back to the hotel at about midnight.
The following day I decided to go to Chinatown get a few photos and grab a bite to eat for lunch, all the times I've been to Chicago I've never been to this area. The afternoon I made my way to the Pier and just chilled out. On the night I went to another Irish Pub (Fado's) for my meal. Following my meal I went to a duelling Piano bar "Howl at the Moon" which is always a bit wild but great fun.
On my final full day I decided to have a ride north and get a few photos of historic places from the gangster years I hadn't got before. I went on the subway to get a photo of "The Green Mill" Jazz club, apparently this is one of Al Capones old haunts, I've always intended to go to a show here but never got around to it. From there I headed back to the City but got off at the Fullerton stop and walked to The Biograph Theatre. This is where Public Enemy No1 Dillinger was shot by FBI agents apparently.
Instead of going back to the Subway station I walked in the other direction towards the lake & lincoln Park. I eventually came across the Zoo (which is free) so I went in and got lunch at one of the Cafes. Its quite good and I got a cracking photo of a Lion, it climbed on a rock in its compound and gave a tremendous roar, couldn't believe how loud it was. I then made my way back to the City and checked out a few shops before going back to the hotel for a power nap.
It was my final night in the city and again I went to Fado's for a few beers and a meal (they do English Beer & Food). About 9.30pm I went to Blue Chicago (the other Club as they have two) and the singer that was performing was Patricia Scott whom I hadn't seen before. It was a real good show and she had an awesome guitarist playing with her. Apparently some of her usual band were in hospital following a car crash and she had some guests. The guitarist was out of Buddy Guys group who is one of the worlds top Blues acts. I eventually made my way to my hotel to get some sleep ready to move on to Houston the following day.
To be honest I met a few people on my rounds but not any real charactors which is quite unusual for Chicago.

I'll write about Houston in my next post.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I love those dueling piano bars! It sounds like it was a nice trip. Chicago is a cool city and I have always enjoyed it there.

airliebird58 said...

You seemed to have fitted a lot into your visit to Chicago! Shame about your brekkie, I haven't had black pudding for ages lol.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Yeh "Howl at the Moon" are fun places, they have them in a few cities.

Airlie,
I love Black Pud and when I'm going away is the only time I allow myself the treat so I was doubly dissapointed.