Wednesday 16 July 2008

Is the World split in two ?

1. Zimbabwe - When it comes to world politics is the World split in two ? Last week we had the UN security sanctions vote against the Zimbabwe government getting vetoed which to me was quite disgusting. Mugabe's regime that has just sabotaged an election needs the world to stand shoulder to shoulder against them.
However the usual five candidates blocked the vote for sanctions led by the likes of Russia, China, Libya, South Africa & Vietnam(no surprise with any of these). To me its about time the Western world stopped trading with these such countries and just stuck together as one, I know who would be better off.

2. Knife Crime - I'm reading a lot in the newspapers lately about the increase in violent crime in our Cities and especially the use of knives among teens. Now I was totally amused with the governments solution to this they are suggesting people caught carrying knives will be made to visit victims in hospital.
Personally I've another suggestion "Put them in f****g Jail" and make the jails a little tougher and not like holiday camps. In high crime areas give police scanners with stop & search powers its not brain surgery.

3. Irritable People - Do you have anyone that your paths cross each week that really irritates you ? I've one such person in mind and he is really getting on my nerves he's such a sarcastic prat. So far I've bit my tongue but I think its a choice between trying to ignore him completely or tell him straight what I think about him.

4. Music Choice - "Its too Late" by Derek & the Dominoes

6 comments:

airliebird58 said...

I've said this before I know, but if they struck oil in Zimbabwe everyone would be in tomorrow. It's really Britain that should do something, but we are so stretched militarily fighting daft bloody wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, we are just over stretched.
I agree that the only way these kids that are going around tooled up are going to be stopped is to put them in prison. If there isn't enough prison places you build more prisons. this isn't rocket science. Maybe it's time we spent some money on this country instead of giving aid packages to all and sundry. Being generous is all well and good, but idiotic when so much needs sorting at home!
End of rant :)

ArleneWKW said...

Wow, Mick! There's so much anger in this post. I could probably get into some discussion about any of the topics you raise, but I'll just respond to the third one. I guess that I'm lucky that I don't "have to" cross paths with anyone who particularly irritates me. I think a a lot goes into the decision as to how to respond to that person. If one is in a job situation and the irritating person is one's boss one would probably respond differently than if the situation was reversed. Most recently, I felt like another woman in my glass class was snubbing me. Since it's a relatively small class, her behavior effected me. When we were both in the parking lot, I asked her straight out why she was snubbing me. She denied that she'd been doing this, we conversed for a while, and her behavior towards me in class was friendlier.

ArleneWKW said...

I don't want to delete my comment, but I realized later that my observation about the angry nature of your post might offend you, so I want to expand a bit on what I said. With regards to Zimbabwe, I agree that sanctions would have been appropriate, but I don't believe that stopping trading with the nations that you listed would be appropriate. I think economic interdependence is ultimately more productive of a peaceful world than isolating nations from one another. Also and on a more practical side, such a move would most likely devastate the U.S. economy. If I am correct, we are already heavily in hoc to China. Also, a good many U.S. companies depend on components produced in China. Etc. etc.

With regard to the powers that you would give to police, I find the prospect of letting them stop and search people who live in high crime areas chilling. Of course, in the U.S., we're dealing with guns more than knives and our police officers are armed. I don't know how much a factor this would be in your thinking.

Jenny said...

It is amazing that Mugabe has been there so long, considering all of his atrocities. Airliebird is right--if there were oil there, we would be on him like a fly on $hit.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airlie/Jenny,
Yes it looks like our countries have set themselves up as the world police force only if Oil is involved.

Arlene,
No not offended at all.

As for police having stop & search policy I have to disagree. I've nothing to hide and I'd rather be searched than become the victim of a violent crime.
To be fair been searched doesn't bother me I got used to it back in the 70's & 80's when we were searched before been allowed into football matches.

ArleneWKW said...

I don't know if you'll be going back to check this comment, but . .

It's not about "having nothing to hide" for me. I don't want the police interrupting the flow of my day. If I go to a venue where a search is done, that is my choice. I also have a real concern about police harassment in "high crime areas." Some members of the police force are racists. I don't want people to be subject to unreasonable searches because of the color of their skin.