Sunday 15 March 2009

My shoe failed and it hurt

Today I'm resting my aches & pains because of an exploding shoe.

Yesterday I was playing in our Clubs Table Tennis competition and was having a particurly tough match against one of my team mates. He is a player ranked above me and usually gets the better, I was playing well and had the game tied at 2 sets apiece and 6-6 in the decider.

I'm a defensive player where he is an attacker, he was hitting me deep and trying to catch me out with drop shots. This involved me retrieving from the back of the court and then getting in close the table to deal with his drop. Well we were in the middle of the rally when I came charging in at full pace to deal with a such shot when I plonked my right foot down my shoe totally disentegrated (looked like it exploded), it tore from one end to the other sending me crashing down into the table while twisting both my knee & ankle.

I also suffered a slight cut to the knee but after a short break was able to continue (in a different pair of TT shoes that I had in the boot of the car), luckily I don't think I've done any serious damage, its a bit sore today but it could have been much worse.

Before anyone asked I lost the match in question 11-9 but did well in my games after the incident.

3 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

An exploding shoe. Here in the U.S.A. we'd be asking, "Lawsuit anyone?" (Not me. Too much of a hassle.) Sorry you got hurt. Add "pain and suffering" to above mentioned lawsuit.

celtic_girl said...

Oh bigger about the shoe, I bet it ruined your momentum. I suppose that is the show version of a tyre blowout.

airliebird58 said...

An exploding shoe! I'd write a speculative letter to the manufacturers....nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
Hope your bumps and bruises have cleared up :)