Saturday 16 August 2008

Will I Fly

1. Flight - Well I'm a bit worried after reading todays newspapers, apparently Baggage Handlers & Security staff at Gatwick & Stanstead Airport are staging a one day strike on August 25th over a long standing pay dispute. As it happens that is the day I fly to America for my holiday but I'm flying from Manchester not one of the airports involved. However I read on and apparently staff at Manchester are voting this week on whether they will join their colleagues. So I'll now be watching the news to see what happens.

Even if they do walk out my flight may possibly be ok as I'm flying with American Airlines and so far they are not effected at the other airports.

What narks me is they seem to do this each year at what is probably the buisiest weekend (its the bank holiday) ruining thousands of peoples holidays. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.


2. Surprise Trophy - Went to a TT training day today and one of my team mates in the York Veterans Yorkshire League team was there. He'd been to the county presentation evening and apparently I'd won the divisional merit award, I didn't know at all. Its quite a nice trophy a clock set in a glass stand (see photo).

3. Killer Pool - On my last Post the lovely cactusfreek asked how do we play "Killer Pool", well here is an explanation :-

First you need a group of Pool players (the more the better), then everyone pays a pre-decided amount of money usually £1 each but can be more if you want to up the stakes.

Everyone is given a number say 1 to 10 if you have ten players. All the cards numbered from one to ten are taken from a pack of playing cards then shuffled at put on the side of the pool table upside down so nobody knows which card will be turned over.

Everyone is given 3 lives then the first card is turned over. Whoevers number is turned over breaks and has 2 shots (if needed) to pot a ball. The next card is then turned which decides who the next player is and he must pot any ball (other than white of course), you just carry on turning the cards to decide whoose go it is. Other than whoever breaks players only have one shot to pot, failure to pot you lose a life, once you have lost all 3 lives you drop out.

Once all 15 balls are potted the pack is re-racked and you continue until only one person is left with any lives and he takes the money in the pot. Obviously deciding the order with the cards means you don't know who will be next (its possible to go again yourself), this stops players cheating and leaving their mates on then sharing the money. If all the cards are turned and people are still in they are shuffled and replaced, you then continue.

5 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Nice trophy - congratulations Mick.

I hope the baggage handling strike does not affect your trip.

Thanks also for your words of support Mick.

Meow Meow said...

Hi Mick

Jenny said...

I hope everything works out OK with the travel and there are no problems!

TitanThirteen said...

The game sounds awesome! Where are you going on your trip? Not that bloody America AGAIN surely!?!

And yes, very nice trophy!

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
Thanks, I think I'll be ok with the baggage situation.

Rebecca,
Hi

Jenny,
Its looking ok not yet effecting the airport I'll fly from.

Cactus,
Yes America again, give the game a try, get it organised.