Thursday 20 May 2010

Not Fit Enough

As I've said previousy I've made a decision to play the Veterans Table Tennis Circuit season, its both competitive but social. Over the past few seasons I've played Vetts team competions (national league, county & Yorkshire league).

So last weekend I travelled to Bristol to enter the National Championships and what a impressive event it was, in the region of 300 to 400 competitors playing in five seperate age groups (over 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's). Yes over 80's although it was mixed (men & women) where other ages had seperate sex vents, they managed to get 14 players, can't really see me performing at that age but who knows, lol.

30 tables were in operation with saturday about qualification, you played a group of four (all play all over 5 sets), the top two going into the main event and the bottom two into the plate (consolation) competition.

I entered two events over 40 & 50 singles, didn't play in the doubles but maybe I'll get a partner fr future tournaments.

Saturday I was really pleased with my performance coming 2nd in my group in both events so qualifying for both main events, the standard was very high so that was good. Over 40's was actually the easiest, the player who won the group was clearly strongest (ranked about 50 nationally) although I was the only one to take a set off him. The player finishing 4th was the weakest by far and not really a problem so it was me and the other player to see who came 2nd and qualified. Luckiy he was a defender and I love playing defensive players so comfortably won in straight sets.

The over 50's looked a bad draw with the England ranked No7 in the group. However the others weren't pushovers either in fact my first match I looked like losing, just couldn't get my good shots working against a awkward player. I trailed 2 sets to 1 and in the 4th my opponent had me on the ropes with 4 match points, I somehow managed to claw them back to steal the set then went on to take the 5th and deciding set. A win against the other player left me and the national number 7 playing for top spot and I managed my best performance of the weekend but eventually lost by the closest of margins at deuce in the 5th set when it was 2 sets apiece.

That performance filled me with confidence for sundays knockout stages but alas I ended up dissapointed although I did reach the last 32 of the over 40's but that was down to a good draw. I never beat anyone I wouldn't be expected to beat and the player I entually succumbed to was very strong (in top 30).
Sadly I went out in the last 64 in the over 50's, although it was to the national no19 I just didn't perform, in fact I came off gutted I feel its a player I feel could beat.

The truth is I just wasn't fit enough for a 2 day tournament, after saturdays efforts my muscles ached and it was tough to get moving. My body wasn't flexible and I was too slow around the court, found myself reaching for shots rather than moving and getting down low.

I also think I've got to set myself targets if I play nationally and the only way to achieve them will be to get fitter, faster, stronger and improve my recovery rate. Losing weight will help as will doing more physical stuff and training hard, this will now be my motivation.

For the record I'm targetting a top 30 ranking in the over 50's (currently not ranked) and top 100 in the over 40's (currently 149).

My next event is a ratings tournament (over 40's only) at Hinkley, leicestershire, in mid July. Basically you play a group of 8 over one day and all the players are of similar standard (ranking) so will be tough. Its only a week after my holiday so will be a hard test physically I'm sure.

6 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

You've given yourself excellent motivation to get and stay in shape.

Sandii said...

hey hey Mick, LONG time no speak - have heaps of catching up to do on your blog - go you and your goals for rankings, you'll be right, few weeks of solid training the weight will be off and you'll be as fit as you need to be!

will have to have a proper catch up
x

airliebird58 said...

Hello Mick, how are you? I've let this blog thing slide a bit has to be said, what with Facebook and everything! Let me know if you're on there and I'll add you as a friend.
Wasn't it fab us going up! I cried you know lol.
MOT!

TitanThirteen said...

Go you! :o)

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
Thats what I need, something to motivate me. I find just trying to lose weight for the sake (ok health reasons) doesn't work for me. However give me something to aim for (like rankings) which will need me fitter is what is best for me. I need targets.

Sandii,
Great to hear from you, drop me a email when you get chance and let me know how you are doing.

Airliebird,
Go hear from you also, was starting to wonder where you had got to, hope you are well.
I'm not on Facebook, tend to go on MySpace a bit.
What do you reckon our chances of back to back promotions (premier league here we come) MOT

Cactus,
Thanks

airliebird58 said...

Onwards and up wards as far as I'm concerned. It will be interesting to see who Simon brings into the club during the close season.