Friday 17 April 2009

An interesting weekend plus Knights in shining armour

As I mentioned in my last post I was going away for Easter and I'm sure you all guessed it was one of them cosy trips with my friend Jane.

We booked an hotel near Oxford (The Oxford Belfry) and met up there at about 2pm on Good Friday, we were really impressed with our hotel room. First night part of the deal included diner in the hotel restaurant and certainly can't complain it was really nice. I had Chicken wrapped in bacon while Jane had Pork. We both had sweets (calories don't count on vacation) as we had not bothered with starters although we could have on the deal.

My mate Lofty was staying at the same hotel so after the meal we met up with him and his wife Janine for a few drinks.

Saturday Jane & myself visited Oxford which is a big university town and full of history, we did the open top bus tour despite rain been in the air. We also had a good walk around the city centre, first time I've been to this city.
Saturday night we got a taxi to a small Oxfordshire market town called Thame to have a meal in a Chinese restaurant called "The Drunken Chef", we had read about it on an internet site and it had excellent revues. We weren't dissapointed and the meal was excellent.

Sunday we booked out of the hotel & drove to Blenheim Palace the birth place of Winston Churchill. Again it was a full day looking around the palace and walking around the gardens.

Late afternoon we moved on to our next hotel "Chesford Grange" which was between Kenilworth & Leamington Spa. Again we had dinner on the first night in with the deal and again it was excellent. We both went for Steak for the main course followed by a sweet. We had a few drinks in the hotel before retiring.

Easter Monday we visited Kenilworth Castle and it was a real fun day they had a big show on showing how life was like in Medieval England. This included Knights fighting, Dacing & singing, archery demos & story telling.
We stayed until the end (about 5.30pm) before making our way back to the hotel. We had planned to go out in Leamington Spa but were both tired so decided to get a bar meal in the hotel. To be honest we got a bit p****d off with some of the other people in the bar, it was a large group of teenagers who were drunk & loud, basically a group of show offs. I was thinking about saying something about their language but Jane didn't want me to, they weren't bothering people directly but just made the place feel uncomfortable, we noticed a few people walk out. It was the sort of behaviour you don't expect in a 4 star hotel.

Tuesday morning we had a ride into Leamington, had a quick look around the shops before going for a coffee. Eventually we said our goodbyes and made our seperate way home. Its 5 weeks before we get together again and I can't wait.

4 comments:

celtic_girl said...

I'm so envious of all the great historic castles nand sites you have over there. I just love potting around those things.

So Mick, is there something more permanent in the air with you and Jane? She looks a lovely girl.

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic,
We certainly have a lot of history and we don't always appreciate it, its too easy to neglect whats on your own doorstep.

As for Jane & myself, things seem to be going well but who knows whats in the future its still early days. She's a smashing lass and so easy to get on with, I'm not writing anything off the only thing I know is I really do like her.
We are away for another 4 nights in May then are going on holiday at the end of June.

Anonymous said...

Just like you expect them to have Bacardi in a 4 star hotel!!!! We have made an official complaint. Glad you enjoyed Blenheim. I said it was a beautiful place. Looking forward to meeting Jane once again. She is a lovely lady and you two seem to get along really well. I've already got a lovely outfit and hat that could do with an airing!!!! Janine

airliebird58 said...

Nice to see you had such a nice time! Sorry for not posting for a while, but since I stopped work I seem to have less time! Nice to see the Mighty Whites are about certain for the playoffs, lets hope we have a good outcome this year! :)