Saturday 15 November 2008

What a great ideas ?

It concerned me somewhat last week when I read about the governments plan to release around 1,500 people from our prisons early to relieve overcrowding. Apparently many of these criminals have been convicted of violent offences (ok not murderers as such) and I am against it, to me done the crime means doing the time.
Now for sometime the law courts have been under instruction to give lesser sentances cos our jails are full to breaking point, this is wrong we should either build more jails or find alternatives. Now with the housing market frozen & many builders laid off unemployment high wouldn't this be a great time to build some new prisons, not only would it create work it would solve a crime problem because many released early do offend again.
While on the subject I also think prisons are getting too soft to me they should discourage people not to want to go back yet all I hear is talk about rehabilitation, sorry I think its poppycock.

However I have another great idea, last week I watched a documentry on the history channel about people that have won the Victoria Cross, which is Britains highest medal for acts of bravery in the face of the enemy.
It got onto the battle of Rorkes Drift (1879) in the Zulu wars where 150 british troops defeated a Zulu army numbering over 4,000 (bit like the Americans Alamo except we won). Many acts of bravery happend and in all 11 VC's were awarded which is the most in one battle.
The story of one soldier who recieved the award interested me because he was only there because he had broken the law, apparently in them days people covicted of minor crimes were offered the choice of jail or serve in the army, he chose the army, bet he wished he hadn't when the Zulus came over the hill.
Anyway going back to my origional point wouldn't it be a great idea to offer people that commit some offences the chance to redeem themselves in the army and fight in such places as Afganistan, Iraq & other such wars.

4 comments:

celtic_girl said...

I think I saw that doco as well - vey interesting. I agree whole heartedly with you about putting them into service.

ArleneWKW said...

I think you have the right idea about the role of public works in the current economic situation. Building more and better jails makes much sense. Here in the U.S.A., I'd like to see the multi billions going into our infrastructure in addition to or even rather than future bailouts of financial institutions and corporations.

airliebird58 said...

I agree if we have to spend a lot of money why not on the infrastructure of the country, creating jobs in the process. I was flicking through the news channels yesterday and that is what the Chinese are doing.

TitanThirteen said...

Or they could build a couple more prisons.